Update from Chief Executive Daniel Elkeles
1. There are no plans to close Epsom Hospital now or in the future, whatever happens.
2. We are investing over £30m in improving it between 2018-2020.
3. We sold land on Epsom Hospital site last year to the highest credible bidder – all the proceeds are being invested in improving Epsom Hospital.
4. We need a new 500 bed hospital building to treat Epsom and St Helier’s sickest 15% of patients. It will save lives. It will cost £500m. It will be at Epsom, St Helier or Sutton hospital. Our local commissioners hope to consult the public on the preferred location in the Autumn.
5. Wherever the new hospital building is built, Epsom Hospital will remain open treating at least 85% of the patients it does today.
6. We have more staff, are safer, and provide more services than we ever have.
Investing £30m+ in Epsom Hospital
– New paediatric and maternity outpatients (2018)
– Expanded A&E department (opened December 2018)
– New therapy centre (opened February 2019)